Immediately after the stop, I reached out to friends, including a couple of attorneys, one of them a black attorney from Birmingham, Ala. I was still fuming when I called him and detailed what had just happened. Instead of being sympathetic, he calmly responded, “Be glad you made it home.” He was almost dismissive of my experience and my frustration. He was sincere in telling me that I should be grateful for the ultimate outcome of my police interaction: I wasn’t dead.
News from BlackAmericans.com
- Republicans Are Playing a Game of Jenga With Health Care Reform
- La. Mom Says She’s Done Having Kids After Giving Birth to 14-Pound Son
- Fla. Teen Accused of Masquerading as Doctor Indicted in Separate Va. Fraud Case
- Sen. Chuck Schumer Will Oppose Jeff Sessions’ Nomination for Attorney General
- Spy Chief Tries to Make Peace With Trump Over Russian Dossier